Probate - Georgia Weapons Carry License
The Probate Court issues firearms licenses, also known as “Georgia Weapons Carry License” as governed by O.C.G.A.§16-11-126 through 134. Applicants are encouraged to read the applicable law prior to making application to ensure a better understanding of your rights and responsibilities. You may obtain a copy of the applicable law in the office.
- Applications will be accepted on normal business days between the hours of 8:00am – 4:00 pm.
- You must be a Pickens County resident and provide a valid photo ID.
- The fee for application and fingerprint processing is $79.00 ($30.00 for RENEWALS if you already have a valid Georgia issued weapons carry license).
- You may pay by cash, money order/cashier’s check, Visa or MasterCard credit/debit card (processing fees apply).
- It takes approximately two weeks to process the application and mail the license to approved applicants.
- The license is valid for five (5) years, at which time you must reapply for a new license.
- Be aware that prior convictions for certain offenses will disqualify you from obtaining a firearms license. Some of those offenses include, but are not limited to, convictions arising out of domestic violence, weapons violations and drug related offenses, if you’ve not been free from supervision for at least five (5) years.
Additional IMPORTANT Information
To apply for a firearms license in this court, you must be 21 years of age or older and be a resident of Pickens County. If the applicant is AT LEAST 18, has completed basic training in the armed forces of the United States, AND provides proof that he or she is actively serving or has been honorably discharged they may be issued a license if no other prohibitors apply.
If you are between the ages of 18 and 21, the following documents are required for application:
- an active duty ID card
- proof of residency in Pickens County
- documentation showing completion of basic training
Applications MUST be filled out with the name exactly as it appears on the Driver’s License.
Click on the button above to Apply for Your Weapons Carry License.
You will receive a confirmation number upon completion which you will need to bring with you to the Probate Court office within two (2) weeks of completing the application, along with:
- the application fee of $79.00 ($30.00 for RENEWALS if you already have a valid Georgia issued weapons carry license)
- a current Georgia issued photo ID that reflects your Pickens County address.
- you will be photographed, fingerprinted and the application process will be completed at that time
- if approved, you will receive your license in the mail within 2-3 weeks